Minutes for Hospitality Meeting, August 11, 2019
I think we had an excellent meeting! Attending: Gwyn Hein, Gordon Davies, Jennifer
Leeman, Jessica Harper, Quaker Harper, Buzz Borchardt. And honored guest Chris
1. I think we could use another helper at potluck.
- Aug. 18: greeter/refreshments, Buzz
- Aug. 25: greeter/refreshments, Hart
- Sept. 1: greeter: Lori
- Sept. 1: potluck: Quaker, Gordon, ?
- Sept. 8: greeter/refreshments. Quaker
2. What is Hospitality's role at memorial services?
The committee came to unity on the following statement for inclusion in the
document on celebrations to be posted on the Meeting website:
Care and Counsel and a representative from the Hospitality Committee will
work with the family on planning any reception following the memorial service
if it is held on the grounds of the meeting. Volunteers in the community may
be asked to provide drinks and light refreshments.
And Jennifer very generously volunteered to be the representative from Hospitality.
3.Planning for the coming year:
Lotsa Helping Hands:
- First of all there needs to be greater coordination between C&C and
- Because we have never used Lotsa Helping Hands since establishing our group
there, it is desirable to do a test run. I will add all the members of Hospitality
to Lotsa Helping Hands (no, this doesn't commit you to providing meals ;-)
and send a trial request to which everyone can respond.
- If we are to continue using Lotsa Helping Hands we need more potential volunteers
than the 10 who signed up 2 years ago.
Refreshments at Fellowship:
- Over the past several years the committee has made an effort to provide
higher quality refreshments to facilitate and enhance fellowship. .
- Issues were raised to keep in mind as we move forward: how to pay for refreshments
(although the committee encourages members to submit
their expenses, most have not), how much refreshments to provide, and
whether they make a worthwhile contribution.
- It is very impactful for a Friend to meet one-on-one with a visitor who
is open to that, so it would be good if we can compile a list of Friends who
are willing to do so.
- A mailing list is probably sufficient for the purpose.
- Since Hart has undertaken the responsibility of monitoring the guestbook
and mailing a personal note to visitors who leave their mailing address, it
is important that she participate in any upcoming discussion.
- In the past, three times year, Hospitality has hosted a tea at the Meeting
house for recent visitors following worship. This is something we can consider
reviving -- with frequency and other details to be discussed.
- We know we don't want to solicit guests to be hosted at Thanksgiving when
we have no prospective hosts to receive them. What we do want to do remains
to be decided.
Thank you, Friends.