Minutes for Hospitality Meeting, Wednesday September 16, 2020
We had a productive meeting, and it was enjoyable connecting. Attending: Annette,
Buzz, Evelyn, Gordon, Jennifer, Quaker
We discussed our role as first responder for emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Points made include the following:
- Limit the number of emails to committee members--blind-copy everyone only
when feedback is wanted or it is something they should know.
- Rotate responsibility for responding. Rather than establishing a schedule,
can we try sinply allowing members to volunteer as they are led? I have no
desire to be the sole responder.
- Don't hesitate to ask for advice on how to respond not only within the Committee
but also outside--whoever has the expertise.
- The question was raised as to how we can know that an email is being handled
when responsibility for responding is passed to another committee. One suggestion
is for whoever responds to blind-copy the response to the person from Hospitality
who delegated the responsibility. The suggestion was also made to discuss
this at the upcoming Clerk's Retreat, and Chris has agreed to include it on
- Maintain a log of actions taken to ensure that emails have been responded
to. (will be useful when it comes time for annual report)
- Something I've forgotten?
We also discussed the desirability of collecting and making members' photographs
available as a way of helping members connect with one another. For example,
a pdf version of the Directory that included photographs is possible. However,
the sense of the Committee seems to be that most members don't want their picture
and identity made publicly available.
Thank you, Friends.
For reference purposes, here is a revised plan of action taking account of
the suggestions (note: "responder" means whoever from the committee
is currently responsible for first response)
If the email to friends@chapelhillfriends is:
- a question like what we used to
get while greeting, responder forwards
to Hart to handle.
- a question that responder knows
how to respond to, responder replies,
cc'ing friends@chapelhillfriends and anyone else appropriate.
- a question that responder doesn't
know how to respond to, responder sends
it to hospitality-committee@chapelhillfriends, or anyone else who responder
thinks might know, asking for feedback within 24 hours. Then:
- If feedback makes it clear how to respond, responder replies as in #2
above, or passes responsibility onto someone else to respond.
- If responder still doesn't know how to respond, responder sends a generic
email saying we received your query and someone will get back to you within
48 hours, cc'ing friends@chapelhillfriends.
And, here's a summary of emails received so far (complete
email text here):
- Aug 19: Email received inquiring about using Meetilng facilities. Reply
sent with info about renting our facility, and matter handed over to Bldg
- Aug 20: Request for zoom link to join meeting. Chris had already sent the
link, and I added her address to listserv.
- Sept 09: Newsletter of Habitat for Humanity for Orange County (with no request
to post it). I asked clerks if anyone wanted to sponsor it in enews and got
only negative responses, so no more action taken.
- Sept 10: Newsletter of Orange County Dept. of Ageing (again no request to
post it). Again only negative responses from clerks, so no more action taken.